- This event has passed.
Plein Air Landscape Painting with Rita Pacheco
September 23, 2022 @ 9:30 am – 12:00 pm
Local Artist Rita Pacheco will lead this adult landscape painting workshop in downtown Ridgway! Participants will learn about the plein air painting experience from start to finish. Class will meet in front of 610 Arts Collective (610 Clinton St), and end back at 610 around 11:30 for a critique period at end of class.
- Recommended art materials list:
- Medium of your choice (Rita is an oil painter, and artists using oil, gouache or acrylic will benefit the most but any medium will profit from the basic principles of plein air painting)
- appropriate solvent for your medium
- portable easel (Rita uses a Strada (Brian Mark Taylor) and highly recommends it! https://www.stradaeasel.com/blogs/strada-in-the-field/13135245-bryan-mark-taylor )
- brushes you’re comfortable. (Rita uses Grand Prix bristle brushes, #2,#4, #6,#10 mostly available online from most art resources)
- a small sketchbook or notebook for pre-sketches
- paper towels for clean up
- panels to paint on (it’s important you don’t bring canvases that are “stretched” since the light shows through while you’re painting and it’s harder to follow the light you see while you’re fighting with the light on your panel) I get most of my linen panels from sourcetek https://canvaspanels.com/ You can also but masonite from Home Depot and have it cut to size and gesso it (three times with sanding in between coats) and I do this too!
- an umbrella (it’s helpful to keep your painting and your palette in the shade if possible to avoid painting “too dark” in fighting the light on them.
- A wide brimmed hat (a baseball cap works fine) for the same above reason.
- Water to drink!